Corporate Social Responsibility
Here at City Surveys we believe that the way in which we run our company, rather than simply the bottom line, defines us as a business.
Constantly striving to conduct ourselves as ethically as possible, we’re committed to giving back to the communities in which we live and work.
From clients, suppliers and the environment to our employees, their families and the wider community in general, we invest firmly in the betterment of those around us. For more information on how seriously we take corporate social responsibility as a business simply read one of the sections below. Alternatively, why not visit our Policies and Accreditations page?
As a responsible, thriving and ambitious firm, we understand that people are the lifeblood of our business. Indeed, it’s the knowledge, experience and judgement of both our field and management teams that has made City Surveys what it is today.
It’s no wonder, therefore, that we take the well being, training and development of our staff incredibly seriously. This is something that’s epitomised by the following programmes and initiatives…
- Our comprehensive in-house training programme allows our employees to better themselves whilst adding genuine value to the business and its clients. Our approach? To train our people so that they can leave but treat them well enough that they never want to.
- As an equal opportunities employer we value diversity within our business. Regardless of nationality, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or creed, we’re committed to employing the right people for the right job.
- We actively encourage all employees to further themselves by taking part in recognised, accredited training or educational courses and place employee satisfaction at the top of our list of priorities. We believe that an empowered, educated and enlightened workforce is happy and well motivated, delivering a genuine value add for the company and its clients.
- Regardless of their position within the business, we actively encourage employee engagement and participation. We promote the use of suggestion boxes and seek to promote an atmosphere of inclusion and a sense of ownership.
- We promote a healthy work-life balance for all employees, actively discouraging staff from working beyond the limits of their regular working hours wherever possible. Regular staff events are held for company bonding purposes.
One of the largest multi-disciplinary measurement and engineering firms in the UK, City Surveys has a well-earned reputation for delivering precision, reliable and great value professional services.
Whilst strict processes govern the way in which our business is run, we pride ourselves on our willingness to tailor both methodologies and deliverables to suit the requirements of each project. We take the time to get to know our clients, to understand their motivations as well as those of individual team members. In doing so we’re able to provide a truly bespoke service, designed to meet and exceed their expectations.
Our innovative approach and willingness to go above and beyond to achieve that which others deem impossible helps us stand apart from other similar firms. It’s no wonder, therefore, that a significant percentage of our order book is made up of repeat business.
The management team at City Surveys believe firmly that a business is only as strong as its supply chain. It’s no wonder, therefore, that we take the adoption of new suppliers and the management of existing ones very seriously indeed.
We expect all suppliers to meet the standards laid our in our ‘Supplier Code of Conduct’, a copy of which can be downloaded from both our ‘New Suppliers’ and ‘Existing Suppliers’ sections.
We pride ourselves in getting to know our suppliers inside and out, understanding their structure, their values and their motivations. By understanding our suppliers, by paying them on time and treating them fairly we have built a strong, reliable and loyal supply chain that embodies both City Surveys and the things we stand for.
A firm believer in giving back to the wider community, as part of our commitment to corporate social responsibility City Surveys is proud to donate to two charities each year as well as sponsoring a number of local community initiatives. We also actively encourage our team to voluntarily donate their time to worth causes both locally and further afield.
For more information on our various community activities please visit the ‘Community’ page of our website. If you’re interested in donating either time or money to any of the causes covered within please do get in touch.
As an organisation which revolves around the construction, rail and civil engineering sectors, it’s inevitable that, without proper management and consideration, we will have a certain impact upon the environment.
To combat this we’ve introduced a range of policies and initiatives aimed at actively reducing the environmental consequences of our activities, chief amongst which is our ISO 14001 certification. Other efforts include (but are not limited to)…
- We provide training and promote awareness of the importance of recycling and waste minimisation amongst our employees and supply chain
- We encourage participation in ‘clean up’ schemes, helping to improve the environment in our local area
- We have installed more than 100 photo-voltaic solar panels on the roof of our office providing over 60kw of electricity, thereby reducing our dependency on fossil fuel-derived energy
- LED light fittings and movement sensors have been fitted to all areas of our office to ensure that lights are only on when required
- We actively promote energy efficiency within our office opting for AA rated appliances and ensuring that all air-con, lights and computers etc. are turned off when not in use
- We maintain a regularly updated fleet of fuel efficient vehicles, all of which are serviced regularly and are partly chosen for their low carbon emissions
Health and safety
Put simply, there is nothing more important to City Surveys than the health and safety of its employees and the wider public.
Our in-house HSQE management team is constantly striving to improve our performance and protection in this regard. Highly experienced professionals, these people ensure that the company operates in line with current national and European legislation as well as the requirements of our BS OHSAS 18001 certification.
All projects, regardless of size, scope or value, are passed through HSQE for assessment, improvements (if necessary) and approval before any work can take place. Regular management, project and dedicated HSQE meetings take place that highlight any health and safety concerns, putting in place remediation measures to combat them. These meetings are made up of the Company’s senior management team (including HSQE), project managers and a selection of relevant field staff.
The health and well being of our staff is paramount with a range of programmes put in place to keep them both healthy and happy. These include (but are not limited to) weight loss and anti-smoking campaigns run by independent medical professionals as well as free flu vaccinations and subsidised gym memberships for employees.
We take a very firm line on H&S breach and near miss reporting with anonymous, confidential reporting systems put in place for both.
Operating a strong and ambitious firm, the senior management team of City Surveys & Monitoring Ltd ensures that the organisation is managed in a genuinely ethical and professional manner. Procedures and policies (e.g. Whistleblowing and Anti-Bribery Policies) have been put in place to ensure that the company and its employees are beyond reproach, operating within the law and best practice at all times.
Funding all activities and expansion internally, City Surveys is a privately-owned company, funding all expansion and activities internally.